Oldham and Swindon battle out a draw at Boundary Park

Oldham Athletic and Swindon Town fought out a 2-2 draw at Boundary Park on Saturday.   The game saw the return of former Latics manager Richie Wellens which added a little extra spice to the afternoon. Swindon started the game one place and two points above Oldham in the table, although Latics do have a game in hand.  

In a first half that was dominated possession-wise by Swindon, it was Latics who took an early lead. George Edmundson being the quickest to react to poke the ball past McCormick in the Swindon goal after he could only parry a header from Peter Clarke after only 6 minutes. Swindon almost levelled in the 12th minute but Robinson directed his close range volley straight at Iversen.  

Missilou had a shot on target for Athletic from the edge of the area but it didn’t have the power to trouble the keeper. After that it was Swindon who knocked the ball around neatly for most of the half, but their shooting was woeful. Kyle Bennett had a downward header that hit the post but other than that Swindon failed to trouble Daniel Iversen in the Oldham goal.

Latics looked like they were going to go into the break with a one goal lead but in first half stoppage time a long ball forward resulted in a coming together between Edmundson and Robinson. Both players ended up falling over each other but referee Martin Coy saw it as a penalty and a yellow card for Edmundson. From the resulting spot kick, Doughty sent Iversen the wrong way to notch up his 13th goal of the season.  

The second half began the same way as the first half had ended, with Swindon having the lions share of possession but with very little end product. In the 58th minute Oldham made their first substitution, Jose Baxter replacing the largely ineffective Chris O’Grady, but it was Swindon who took the lead only two minutes later when Bennett was able to take advantage of Maouches’ decision to try to dribble the ball out of defence rather than clearing it. Having robbed the Latics midfielder of the ball 25 yards out he advanced to the edge of the penalty area playing a one-two with Robinson before hitting a well placed shot to Iversens’ right hand post and out of the keepers reach.  

In the 64th minute Oldham’s second substitution saw Maouche make way for Syllha in order to add a little steel to the midfield. Oldham`s equaliser came in the 70th minute when after the Swindon defence failed to clear a cross, the ball fell to Branger-Engone who swivelled to hit a fine volley into the roof of Swindon goal.  

Although it was to be the last of the goals, it wasn’t the end of the goalmouth action as both teams tried desperately to gain the all important 3 points.   Afolayan replaced Branger-Engone and ran with lots of energy and enthusiasm to give Athletic a different option in attack. There were chances at both ends and either side could have nicked it at the end. In the 90th minute Iversen kept out a shot from Dunne with his outstretched leg before Latics broke out of defence and went the length of the field before Lang saw his shot deflected wide.  

In the end it was a result that didn’t really satisfy either side. Swindon may feel aggrieved that they couldn’t capitalise on their possession but overall a draw was probably a fair result.  

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

%d bloggers like this: